Behavior modification involves assessing the dog; the environment of the dog; the rules and expectations are given to the dog; the age of the dog; the methods used to communicate to the dog; and the dog’s past. Once the variables have been looked at a training plan is created for that dog.
Obedience training involves training a dog to accomplish tasks that meet the specific needs of the dog owner. Obedience training is more beneficially through a class because it allows you to work your dog through distractions. Working a dog in a group class setting helps you to improve your skills as a handler.
All classes are held at The Dog House, 16960 Ivandale Road, Hamilton, VA.
Puppy Class 101:
Designed for new puppy owners to assist them with raising and developing a balanced puppy.
- Shaping behaviors with the use of “markers”
- Getting your puppy comfortable with a leash connected to a collar
- Working on recall
- Establishing personal boundaries
- Games to play with your puppy
- Teaching kids how to respect the puppy
- The importance of socialization
- Potty training tips
- The dog will demonstrate walking on a loose leash by the owner’s side while under distraction
- Learning to sit and down through verbal command without being guided into position
- Learning to hold a sit and down
- Learning to be neutral to dogs and people
- Training your dog to respect your items
- The dog will demonstrate responding to their owner’s command while the owner stands across the room
- The dog will demonstrate holding a sit or down while under distractions
- The dog will demonstrate holding a sit or down while the owner leaves the building
- Learning to walk by owner’s side while not on a leash
- Learning to stand on command
- Learning to play fetch
- Learning a competitive focused heel
- Demonstrate walking off leash by owner’s side while under high distraction
- Demonstrate refusal to take treats from strangers
- Demonstrate refusal to leave position that the owner has commanded the dog to remain in, when called by a stranger
- Demonstrate walking a competitive focused heel
- Learning to down immediately on command while in pursuit of something